The accident!

Friday, February 25, 2011by Melissa | 3 comments | Labels: , , , , ,

I know its impossible to protect your child from ever being embarrassed or hurt but today I wish it were. I remember those moments, how it felt, how it followed me. Still to this day some of the cruel things kids did and said effect me. I realize that it is unrealistic to want, it just hurts me to see her hurt.

Today, I received a call from my daughters teacher saying that there was an situation towards the end of the day. She sounded very concerned as she explained to me that Jazmyn had an accident in class. At first I thought maybe Jazz had pooped in her pants. You see she has a medical condition that causes her bowels to get backed up and then it hurts for her to go so she holds it. In the end she ends up smearing in her underwear. I was very wrong at this assumption.

My understanding is that they were playing a game called 7up and she just wet herself. The teacher says Jazz didn't ask or show any signs of having to go. She didn't even acknowledge the fact that she had wet herself, just kept on playing. One of the other kids just happened to notice the puddle and pointed it out to the teacher. In doing so, the other kids became aware of what had happened. All the children started laughing at her, making fun of her for what had happened. When asked Jazz told the teacher "A pipe must be leaking". Poor kid either really had no idea or was too embarrassed.

To make things worse they never changed her clothes. The teachers excuse was it was ten minutes before boarding the bus but I feel that's a poor excuse. If they had called me, I would of gone to get her. Instead she had to sit in pissed clothes all the way home. It must of been torcher for her. I cant even imagine how she must of felt. Some of the kids in her class are on her bus and you know just as well as I how cruel kids can be.

When she came in I didn't mention it at first. I was thinking she would talk to me about it on her own time. She was very quiet, just stood in the living room watching TV for a few minutes before I asked her what had happened at school. Her response was nothing, she was so embarrassed that she didn't even want me to know. I wanted to let it go but couldn't. She needed to get cleaned up and changed. When I finally got her talking, she told me the same thing she told the teacher " A pipe must of leaked". I didn't want to pressure her but I needed to know, so I told her to come to me so I could check her. She refused, told me that she had an accident. I told her she should go get cleaned up and changed. As she walked into her room she started to cry. I felt so bad, I wanted to cry with her. Its so painful to see your child hurting like that.




To be continued...


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Jazmyn. My heart ached for her reading this story. I remember what it was like to feel like that sometimes in school and, as a child, it really feels like your world is ending. I hope she's okay now.

Anonymous said...

Oh man. I don't know about the school. I can think of many better ways to have handled that. I would call the principal and discuss this with her. A child of that age especially, should never be place4d on a bus with her peers in wet pissy clothes. Please call the principal? That isn't right.

Melissa said...

Thanks for the concern. I did speak with the school and will be going in Monday morning.

Post a Comment